Watch the whole UR2018 playlist here
Read the UR2018 Proceedings
| Agenda | Photos | Topics | Side Events | Session Blogs
UR2018 took place May 14-18, 2018 in Mexico City, Mexico at the Palacio de Minería, marking the fifth global UR forum. More than 1,050 representatives from 101 countries and 550+ organizations participated in UR2018. The first two days were dedicated to side events, and the following three days made up the main conference. The Forum featured 23 technical sessions and 57 side events, which included workshops and trainings, as well as numerous bilateral meetings. See session pages for slides and presentations from UR2018.
What do you want to see at UR2020? Let us know. Understanding Risk Forums are community-driven, and we always use community input to shape future events.
Video interviews from behind-the-scenes at UR2018.
UR2018 Blog Series
What is Understanding Risk?
UR is a global community of 8,000+ experts and practitioners active in the creation, communication, and use of disaster risk information. Members share knowledge and experience, collaborate, and discuss innovations and best practice in risk assessment. The community convenes every two years at UR Forums – five-day events that highlight groundbreaking work, facilitate nontraditional partnerships, and showcase new technical know-how in disaster risk identification.
Press brief: Information for the media about UR2018
Stay in touch! Subscribe to the UR newsletter to get updates in your inbox.
Become a partner of UR!
Want to become a partner for the ten-year anniversary of UR in 2020? Learn more here.
- Satellites, machine learning and community intelligence: Flood risk data on the fly
- Assessing and communicating risk to cultural heritage: The future of preserving the past
- Early warning for early action: Forewarned and forearmed
- Learning from business risk analyses: Tying the knot
- Communicating earth observation data: A picture is worth a thousand actions
- Flying robots: Collecting, delivering and analyzing geoinformation using UAVs
- Small islands: Innovations in understanding risk
- Communicating volcanic risk: Lava, eruptions and uncertainty
- Assessing urban flood risk: Going with the flow
- The risk information value chain: Data, science, narrative and action
- Selecting the best satellite-derived risk tool: Mining the sky for decision-making
- Understanding cascading events: Earth, wind and fire
- Risk assessments in infrastructure planning: Learning from failure
- The future of risk modeling
- Big data: Innovations in disaster risk financing
- Computer vision and machine learning: From cat videos to CAT modeling
- Risks in the digital age: Learning from cyber security
- Human cognitive biases: The root of irrational risk decisions
- Communicating risk: Approaches for parametric insurance
- A conversation on Geoengineering: Altering the planet, envisioning risk financing mechanisms
- Learning from Mexico’s experience: From 1985 to 2017
- UR Story: Narrative and risk
- Community engagement: Raising awareness and driving action
With financial support from:
Scholarships provided by: