Executive Level 2
Salary: $111,677 – $142,578
Community Safety and Earth Monitoring Division
The Community Safety branch develops and delivers independent, authoritative and accessible information and advice on natural hazards and their impacts. By improving the understanding of natural hazards and community exposure, we support stakeholders in Australia and the region in their risk mitigation and community resilience policy and action. The Branch provides scientific expertise on seismic events and seismic hazard to internal and external stakeholders, including the Joint Tsunami Warning Centre and the public. One of the flagship outputs from the Branch is the National Seismic Hazard Assessment (NSHA) for Australia, which is an input into the Australian building standard for seismic hazard.
To support the agency by leading the seismic activity in delivering a work program in the next few years, the Community Safety Branch is seeking to engage a highly motivated professional with a strong background in seismology and established leadership skills.
In this role you will lead the seismic hazard activity. This includes:
- Lead the GA seismic hazard activity in delivering the Australian seismic hazard workplan and developing the longer-term strategy and workplan, as part of the branch management structure.
- Act as the principle technical advisor on Australian seismicity, earthquake seismology, analysis of seismic data and probabilistic seismic hazard assessment to internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the effective delivery of the next update of the NSHA (planned for 2018)
- Manage the earthquake hazard activity team. Develop, coach and mentor employees, and be accountable for performance management, conflict resolution and identification of training needs.
- Lead and undertake research that improves the understanding of the seismicity of Australia.
- Promote and manage relationships with internal suppliers of seismic data and information.
Key skills include:
- Masters, preferably a PhD, in earthquake seismology or closely related field.
For further information about this position, please contact:
CONTACT NAME, Martine Woolf
02 6249 9075 or email email@example.com
Apply online at www.ga.gov.au/about/careers/current-vacancies
Applications close: 5 May 2016
Non Australian citizens can apply for this role.
Discover more about living in Canberra at this link