The GEM keyword for innovation is reliable earthquake risk information to support sound disaster-risk-reduction and decision-making processes. Cutting-edge resources include open source software with user-friendly interfaces (the OpenQuake suite is made of Platform, Engine and modelling Tools), open data and methodologies, capacity building and knowledge sharing mechanisms. GEM’s collaborative approach guarantees a continuous validation of existing and newly developed data and resources by the international scientific community, with a consequent progressive global acceptance of its standards.
Its bottom-up approach empowers risk assessments with local insights and shapes analysis on the basis of local needs. Its knowledge sharing philosophy bolsters a real democratic debate about earthquake risk by engaging local communities, policy makers, governments and associations to innovate the concept of development itself and to be masters of their own future. Its private-public nature allows the creation of synergies with various sectors like insurance or engineering that are key players in the field of risk reduction. GEM’s tools are being applied worldwide to support regional and local projects with the aim of progressively build a global earthquake model.
To facilitate and promote this goal, GEM has been establishing Regional Communities with the long-term objective of encouraging a regional structured approach to seismic risk mitigation, and a global network of implementing partners with the capacity to provide technical support and training on the use and application of GEM’s tools and methodologies. From Nepal to South America, from Africa to Europe, GEM is carrying out projects that lay the foundation of disaster risk reduction activities and hopefully will lead to a great impact for communities and environment.
Website: Global Earthquake Model
Events+ Show more
- Launch of the Risk Assessment Reference Guide from GFDRR
- Training Sessions
- Resilience is in Our Hand
- Development of the OpenQuake engine, the Global Earthquake Model’s open-source software for seismic risk assessment (Journal Article)
- Seismic risk assessment and hazard mapping in Nepal (Journal Article)
- Understanding Risk in an Evolving World – Emerging Best Practices in Natural Disaster Risk Assessment (Publication)
- Understanding Risk in an Evolving World – A Policy Note (Publication)
- UR2016 Proceedings (Publication)