Pour URHT en français, s’il vous plaît cliquez ici.
Understanding Risk Haiti 2014 brought together Haitian and international experts in disaster risk assessment. URHT introduced technological innovations, showcased good practices, developed partnerships, and encouraged new initiatives to reduce risk in Haiti. URHT also offered an opportunity to engage policy makers to establish an environment that considers disaster risk a factor in the country’s development process.
The Forum sought to:
- Innovate, inspire and influence;
- Propose faster, effective and cost-effective tools and methodologies to assess risk;
- Help policy makers and communities to better understand and manage the risks they face.
The Forum’s central theme, Innovate to prevent, was divided into three main sub-themes:
- Understanding risk (data analysis through the transmission of knowledge in the cultural Haitian context);
- Integration in the development of the country, with a focus on the land use planning, building construction and the resilience of vulnerable communities;
- The establishment of an institutional and financial environment conducive to taking into account risk.
Innovation was therefore at the heart of the event and treated as a cross-cutting theme, while providing an important place to the Haitian culture.
The forum brought together very diverse actors: the public sector in civil society through the private sector, international cooperation, media and research and training institutions.